Re: [oletrucks] Truck Buying Advice

To: "Michael Snow" <mwsnow@home.com>, "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Truck Buying Advice
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 18:27:07 -0700
They are a lot better than the "old" diesels that GM built in the late 70's
and early 80's (the converted gas motors), but they are not quite as good
as the newer 6.5L series diesels.  The military has a LOT of these motors
in everything from pickups, Suburbans, and Blazers, to the Hummers.  They
aren't overly powerful, but if you maintain them (oil, oil filter, fuel
filter, etc.) they will run forever.  One of the "shop trucks" that we had
when I was in the Air Force had over 400,000 miles on the clock and still
got about 18 MPG (2-Wheel Drive C-3500 6-Pak, long bed). I have heard a few
"horror" stories about these, but I don't know what the details of these
stories are.  I guess what it boils down to is that I wouldn't be afraid to
buy one if it looked like it had been maintained.  Just my .02$ worth.  ;^)