[oletrucks] Thumping sound

To: Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Thumping sound
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 19:00:59 -0700
Hi Tom,

Funny you should mention a thumping sound; last Sunday I was driving my
truck to Corvallis, OR for a vintage motorcycle meet (maybe pick up a
basket case?) when I heard a sound like that, though it even made it at
lower speeds, in time to wheel revolutions.  My left front bearings had
gone out on me.  Those stupid NAPA stores are closed Sundays, so I had
to get a ride to Albany and pay an outrageous price for new bearings --
about $138 all together -- from a place called Hollywood Automotive.
Bloodsuckers.  But a tow truck bill would have been at least that.

Here I am with a nice shop, air, and pretty good tools, sitting by the
street side changing wheel bearings and getting sunburned.  Oh well,
better than getting rained on.

I hope that's not what's wrong with your truck, anyway.  I hope it's
something like a stick stuck by the drive line.  :-)

Good luck,
Ed Miller
'58 Apache Fleetside