[oletrucks] Bearings and Wiring

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Bearings and Wiring
From: "tcape" <tcape@weblnk.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 15:31:33 -0400
I would greatly appreciate some help with a couple of problems with my '47
2nd.
(1) Thanks to all who helped me in identifying the thumping/grinding sound I
posted the message about recently.  It's definitely not the front wheels.
Seems to be the rear bearings, but how do I know it's not a universal joint?
When the truck is coasting downhill, I can put it in neutral and turn off
the engine.  Still hear the same thumping and grinding noise.  Does this
eliminate a u-joint problem??  Any other ways I can pinpoint the problem?

If it's the rear bearings, how difficult are they to replace?  I'm not much
of a mechanic.  Should I have someone else do the replacement?

(2) I have an original set of taillights to put on my truck.  When I get
them installed, I also want to use the front parking lights for directional
signals (along with the new taillights).  Has anyone done this?  Is it a
simple process to wire them to link to the directional signals....or is it a
major task?  The PO of my truck had installed some aftermarket taillights
that look pretty cheap.  The new original taillights will fix this.  The PO
also installed some cheap amber lights inside the grille (behind the grille
bars) which are presently wired to the directional signals.  So, the wiring
for front directional signals is there.  I just want to run the wiring to
the parking lights (since the current d-signal lights inside the grille are
pretty much useless).  I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Tom Caperton
'47 2nd 3100