[oletrucks] Octane inquiry

To: Ole Truckers <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Octane inquiry
From: Tim Lloyd <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:43:27 -0600 (MDT)
Just had an interesting conversation with a friend, who informed me that a
mechanic recently told him that the octane of your gasoline only matters
if you have a newer engine that can adjust to differing octanes.
How much truth is there in this, and what octanes are people burning in
their ole trucks?  (My '54 3100 has the straight six engine in it.)

Tim Lloyd, omaha@tmbg.org
"War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and
multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses." -Thomas Jefferson
"Do not be too moral.  You may cheat yourself out of much of life.  So aim
above morality.  Be not simply good; be good for something." -Thoreau
"...failure to terraform Mars constitutes failure to live up to our human
nature and a betrayal of our responsibility as members of the community of
life itself." -Robert Zubrin