Re: [oletrucks] Octane inquiry/ Lead additive

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Octane inquiry/ Lead additive
From: Gene Davis <genedavis@tritel.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 09:21:15 -0600
Terry White wrote:

> Mike,
>
>  I am not by any means trying to lead anyone to believe that I am  a
> mechanic, but this is my experience.
>
> I bought my 56 in late 95, drove it almost everyday for 3+ years using
>  92 and 93 octane fuel. I was told that sooner or later if the head
> did not have hardened exhaust seats I would lose compression.  Guess
> what,   I did.  I have decided to put a newer model 292  because of
> the lack of parts availability here in Alabama.  My advice would be to
> use the highest octane you can buy, drive it till you get a noticeable
> loss of power, then look at the possibility of a rebuild, chances are
> if you have the head worked now it will only put higher compression on
> the worn cylinders.
>
> Just my thoughts..
>
> Terry White
> 56 3100
> Harpersville AL.

>                             How critical is it for these old engines
> to be
> fueled with lead additives? Is the overall performance diminished if
> only
> using an 87 octane with nothing added? I've been running my 235 for a
> year
> now and have yet to mix anything in with a fillup. Lately I have
> noticed a
> slight hint of exhaust smoke which was not the case last year. Oil is
> changed
> frequently and it's been tuned up lately. Any recommendations on the
> use of
> lead mixtures in the gas?   Thanks
>
>  Mike Gilday
> 59 Apache Fleetside 3200
> 1959

My $.02 on octane/lead;

Higher octane is needed to combat detonation.  Lead is needed for valve,
especially exaust valve, lubrication.  Confusing because lead is also a
cheap octane booster.  You need higher octane fuel if you have a higher
compression engine, (hence 100LL for aircraft,- higher compression, high
prformance, low end torque, opposed piston engines.)  You need leaded,
or comparable, fuel for top (valve) lubrication in older auto or
aircraft engines.

I am no expert, but have some experience with both truck and aircraft
engines.  It tells me that older engines, not designed to run without
lead, need a lead replacement.  If you have a engine that is not a high
compression engine, and are getting some pinging,(detonation) check your
timing before running higher octane fuels.  Its alot cheaper to time the
thing than to spend extra money on octane you don't really need.

I did have a Fo#d w/ a stock 460 that no amount of timing work would
stop from pinging.  Had to run at least 89 octane in it.

Help, or just confuse everything more?

Gene Davis
'58 GMC 1/2 T  NAPCO
'63 Cessna 182