Re: [oletrucks] Octane inquiry/ Lead additive

To: Mushgilday@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Octane inquiry/ Lead additive
From: Terry White <twhite@bcbsal.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:35:38 -0500
Mike,

 I am not by any means trying to lead anyone to believe that I am  a
mechanic, but this is my experience.

I bought my 56 in late 95, drove it almost everyday for 3+ years using
 92 and 93 octane fuel. I was told that sooner or later if the head
did not have hardened exhaust seats I would lose compression.  Guess
what,   I did.  I have decided to put a newer model 292  because of
the lack of parts availability here in Alabama.  My advice would be to
use the highest octane you can buy, drive it till you get a noticeable
loss of power, then look at the possibility of a rebuild, chances are
if you have the head worked now it will only put higher compression on
the worn cylinders.

Just my thoughts..

Terry White
56 3100
Harpersville AL.

>>> <Mushgilday@aol.com> 06/01 6:37 PM >>>

                            How critical is it for these old engines
to be
fueled with lead additives? Is the overall performance diminished if
only
using an 87 octane with nothing added? I've been running my 235 for a
year
now and have yet to mix anything in with a fillup. Lately I have
noticed a
slight hint of exhaust smoke which was not the case last year. Oil is
changed
frequently and it's been tuned up lately. Any recommendations on the
use of
lead mixtures in the gas?   Thanks

 Mike Gilday
59 Apache Fleetside 3200
oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and
1959