Re: [oletrucks] Upgrading rear springs

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Upgrading rear springs
From: Alan Gingles <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:47:59 -0700
Bob bdfentr wrote:

> The Caravan used coil springs on the front end and leaf on the rear. Also the
>only early Chevy PU trucks that had an enclosed drive shaft were 1/2 ton. The
>3/4 ton had an open shaft to go to a full floating rear end. Mr. Gingles is
>most likely putting more power to the rear end than a stock early model motor
>put out, if my guess is correct. Traction bars will limit rear end twist and
>should help out without giving excessive wheel hop. I do not know about the
>rest of your message and do not have

I'm running a 350 smallblock in the truck with a Turbo 350 trans. It's
just a mild smog era engine, maybe 225 hp if I'm lucky. It does put a
pile of twist in the Caravan leaf springs under acceleration, the
traction bars help a lot. There's no real wheel hop, either. Launches
quite well off the line.

Alan Gingles
1948 Chevy 1314
http://www.nucleus.com/~agingles