Re: [oletrucks] Hitch on a AD truck

To: blamme@worldnet.att.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Hitch on a AD truck
From: TomGreer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:09:38 EDT
In a message dated 6/16/99 8:41:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
blamme@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Was there ever an option to place a hitch on a AD truck, specifically a 54?

 If not, was there after market hitches made at that time for these trucks?

Good question - I am making a custom hitch now and have only seen one that
looked like original equipment - try to imagine this...

1/4 inch thick flat bar about 3" wide that is bolted to the square hole below
the middle of the tailgate.  It runs straigt to the middle of the bumper
where it is bolted (one bolt) then it dives under the bumper and shoots out
the back with a ball.  Looks pretty simple, but may not be strong enough for
hauling a yard of concrete.  For general purpose light hauling though, it may
be OK, but I am making one that is bolted to the frame (removeable) and runs
behind the bumper so you don't see the mass of the thing.

Here's a couple things to remember if you make one:
    1) Try to keep it away from the spare tire slide (if you have one)
    2) Make sure the ball is close enough to the bumper (and low) so if you
open the
        tailgate without the chains, the tailgate doesn't slam into the ball.

Hope this helps.

Tom
'49 3100/5