[oletrucks] Hitch on a AD Truck

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Hitch on a AD Truck
From: porboy298@email.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:21:22 -0400 (EDT)
Hi All,
 Last week Blaine Ailts asked about a trailer
hitch. I checked on the ones I have on my part vehicles. All are shop built and
butt-ugly. All of these are replacement bumpers and are heavy duty. I looked at
the ones that
I have on the ones I drive and all seem to be
shop built.
 There was a add on bumper on a 72 Chev pickup that was in the shopyard. It was
a nice bumper that had been put on  at the dealership. It comes out at each end
approx. 3ins and then goes back along the edge of the
fender to protect it. Anyway to make a long
story short, we pulled it off and cut off the
ends, ground the old welds smooth, we had to
cut approx 4ins of each end of the bumper to
get the right length as the 72 bumper was wider than needed on the AD model.
Welded the
ends back on, primed, painted, put it on a
52 model, both bolted and welded, installed
a ball set that has a center stud and a 1 7/8
and a two in change out set and had 4 1/2 hrs
total work on it. It looks great and works well as we hooked a trailer on it
and hauled
some junk off. These bumpers are everywhere on 60 to 87 Chev and Ford trucks in
this area
and should be able to be bought cheap.
 Hope this might help someone else that uses
a pickup for work.
Regards
Bill Porter
Spearman, Texas