[oletrucks] AD Hood Side Trim Speculation/Question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] AD Hood Side Trim Speculation/Question
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:38:12 EDT
        I got to thinking last night that most of the old ADs I have seen
around SoCal are missing the hood side trim that proclaims to the world that
this truck is a Chevy. As if anybody could anybody seriously confuse it with
a Dodge of Ford!
        Some months ago I received a pair of repop Chevy medallions and I got
them out last night for inspection. The fasteners, a couple of cast metal
posts that stick out are intended to be used with a couple of slide-on one
way clips making removal without destruction close to impossible.
        It would seem likely that at repaint time, the trim may have been
popped off with a screwdriver breaking the posts off and rendering the
original trim unusable. I'll bet most owners, given the choice off searching
for the seemingly unavailable parts, said forget it and the truck soldiered
on, sans trim.
        A question for those who have some basic machinist's savvy. I have
been thinking of running a die over the posts to thread them for a nut so the
trim pieces can be removed easily in future. How do I judge what size die to
use? I think a number 12 might work, but it might be a 10. What say you?

Paul O'Neil,
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
Hudson29@aol.com