Re: [oletrucks] Leaf Spring Mods

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Leaf Spring Mods
From: soundex@eden.com (craig k)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 19:30:41 -0600
>I have seen folks do this and it does make quiet a difference in the
>stance of the truck. If you count the longest leaf, which is one attached
>to the truck as 1, You will need to keep the 2cd one to keep the
>first one from developing a bow in it. I've seen folks remove the 3rd,
>5th or in other words every other one.

beleive me, this will dramatically alter the stance!
our truck had 1/2 the leaves deleted like this, and FAT tires when we got
it... sat about 5 inches of the ground.
rode like h*ck, steered like an oil tanker. bottomed out on to the rubber
stops when going over anthills.

replaced the springs, put on stock tires, much prefer the ride now.
steering box, however, is toast from the strain of turning those fatty
tires at low speed.

two comments:  i think buying those monoleaf springs DESIGNED to lower the
truck is far more effecient (and, being new steel, they will actually have
some bounce left in them, something your old, cutup ones will not).
also, removing leaves will make your shocks take more of the load, and you
risk breaking the shock mounts.

just MHO.........

craig
caretaker of