[oletrucks] I did it know!

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] I did it know!
From: carcooley@webtv.net (Carl Cooley)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 19:57:38 -0400 (EDT)
  Let me start with a little history.  My 51 GMC has a 248 six cylm  in
it.  Lately it dies when ever I steppe on the gas or went up a hill.
When it began to loose it's prime and become hard to start I thought it
was the fuel pump.  Replacd it this weekend (in this 100 degree heat)
Should have waited for a cooler day but didn't.  When I took out the old
pump it was packed with a light brown sluge that was hard.  I put the
new one in and got it started.  Still ran rough.  Stopped for the day at
this point cause my brain was fried.  Today I could not get it started.
I now wonder if this crud is in the carb also.  The only marking I can
find on the carb is "Zenith made in U.S.A."
 What worries me is the pump bolted right up as the old one had but the
arm or lever wa slightly different that the old one.  It was about  1/8"
shorter than the old one.  Would this make a difference?
  After two days of fighting the beast I pushed it back in the garage
and will look agan on a cooler day. It was that or take a sledge hammer
to it.  And although I would feel bettr now I would regret it later.
  Does any one have some good advise as to where to start from here.

TIA
Carl   51 GMC

P.S.  Carlisle was great but  was a real scorcher also.