Re: [oletrucks] Gauges

To: "Terry Stellman" <STELLMAN@noex.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gauges
From: "Rob J." <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:30:45 -0700
I converted my '49 to 12 volt, but kept the generator.  As far as the
guages:  1) yes I am using the stock guages; 2) the ammeter works fine as
is, whether 6 or 12 volt; 3) the fuel guage had a voltage reducer put in
line (available from most vendors, I got mine from Chevy Duty) (use the
light duty one, not the heavy duty one such as for a radio or heater (these
also needs to be protected if going to 12 volt  - these reducers are also
available from most vendors); 4) the oil pressure is unaffected by current
as it reads off the actual oil pressure.  However, all the bulbs in the
instrument guages need to be 12 volt otherwise they will burn out as soon as
you put 12 volts to them.  Make sure you change these before they blow,
otherwise the excess heat they generate before burning out (if you run a 6
volt bulb in a 12 volt system) will burn the red "filter" that is for the
bright light indicator (yes, speaking from experience).

Rob