[oletrucks] Drive line noises

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Drive line noises
From: AKAMF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 06:43:31 EDT
Hi All,
Time for sharing.  Got a stocker 55/2nd 3/4 ton long bed (2 drive shafts)
that I drive every day to work and back.  Couple weeks ago it started getting
a lot of rattling noise between the trans and rear. I find it very difficult
to drive and peer under the truck at the same time. I thought it could be
something falling apart in the clutch so I removed and replaced the trans,
which solved nothing.  Then pulled the two drive shafts and hanger bearing
thing off and took it down to the parts shop where they pressed in all new
u-joints and a new hanger bearing thing. The fact they had these parts on
hand and were able to do this in a couple hours  made my day.  What a
difference.  This truck hardly vibrates at all now. I just recently replaced
my stock 17"-split-rim-hard-as-rocks-stock-tires with 4 LT235/85R16's on
aluminimum rims and my daily driver is a much more comfortable ride, not to
mention looks are much improved.  Oh, yea... the rattle was still there. The
culprit is a dished shaped metal thing that was orginally pressed onto the
yoke of the rear axle.  It has come loose and spins freely on the yoke.  It
doesn't look like it can be easily removed or re-pressed. I may hit it with
the wire-feed in a spot or two or just turn the stereo up.  Haven't decieded
yet. Getting out and fixing something isn't always as important to me as
knowing what it is.

Brian
akamf@aol.com
55/2nd 3600 smooooooooth for now
57 gmc flatbed 4x4 (incomplete) but looks good rusting in the driveway