Re: Re: [oletrucks] 1953 stepside vs 1953 factory stake bed

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: [oletrucks] 1953 stepside vs 1953 factory stake bed
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 08:10:38 EDT
It would be great to get them both and then have three around, but I count 2
project trucks (59 and 53) and one "beater" (53), so make sure you live in an
area that won't declare you a public enemy.  I was surprised to find that my
neighborhood wouldn't tolerate any visible signs of one truck project and
only barely tolerated the running truck before it became a project, which is
why it got moved to my brother's and which has pretty much killed progress.
And this is in TN; you wouldn't expect any problems here.

There 's also a suburb of Chicago that does not permit any visible signs of
trucks in any residential area. . .if you own one, it has to be in the garage
out of sight when home.  While that's extreme, you might want to make sure
that wherever you live will tolerate the hardware before you buy.  Depending
on where you are, I would suspect that the NE could have significant
restrictions as well since they're bigger on laws and covenants than TN is.

My next house will be in an area zoned for farming; they don't care for sure
if you have multiple or not running vehicles.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Suburban
Knoxville, TN

<<Buy both trucks.  If you are in the NE and there is only minor rust you are
way ahead of the game.  I usually find rust holes i can put my head thru.
Are they both half tons?
Larger trucks bring less money.  It is rare to find a factory flat bed, so
that should be restored to factory stock condition.  you can use the pickup
as a beater.  Work on one truck and keep the other assembled to use as a
reassembly model for the other.
  If both trucks are for sale by same owner, second should go at a good
discount.

Bob ADler

<< ore valuable than the other from an
 historic or collectors point of view?  If so... which one, and why?

 [2] What might a fair price be for each of these trucks considering they are
 said to be in "average condition" needing minor body and engine work?

 [3] Is it a good or bad idea to work on two different trucks... at the same
 time. >>
oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959>>