[oletrucks] 1953 stepside vs 1953 factory stake bed

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 1953 stepside vs 1953 factory stake bed
From: "K & B" <apache58truck@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 00:46:19 EDT
Hi folks-

Since my son and I started our 1959 Apache Fleetside project (his truck for
the future)... we've been keeping an eye out for a running (moderately
roadworthy) truck for me (the dad).

This weekend we came by two possibles!  One is a 1953 Chevy Stepside and the
other is a 1953 Chevy with a factory installed stake bed.  I'm told by the
present owners that everything on both trucks is original.  Both were used
as work trucks until about three years ago.  Both (I'm told)still run but
need some work all around.

OK... Hoping for the opinions of list members, here are our questions:

[1] Is one of these truck styles more valuable than the other from an
historic or collectors point of view?  If so... which one, and why?

[2] What might a fair price be for each of these trucks considering they are
said to be in "average condition" needing minor body and engine work?

[3] Is it a good or bad idea to work on two different trucks... at the same
time... over a period of years if one is used as a "run around" and the
other is a frame up restoration?

[4] Last question... ( please go easy on me with this one ;-> )... Am I nuts
for wanting to buy... and as a result save these old trucks from the
"crusher" or salt air destruction they might eventually face here in the
coastal northeastern part of the US?

Looking to read your thoughts and absorb your advise after a good night of
sleep.  It's been a tough, yet enjoyable adventure ever since my son and I
were bitten by this bug.  Maybe I outta eat an apple (skipped supper!)...
get some rest... and call on the list in the morning!

Thanks in advance-

Ken

Well... that's

K&B 1959 Apache Fleetside Truck Project