[oletrucks] newer 350 in '58 or '59 GMC

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] newer 350 in '58 or '59 GMC
From: Gene Davis <genedavis@tritel.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:29:46 +0000
I hauled a '59 GMC 2(?) ton home over the 4th.  I was going to use it
for parts for my '58 1/2 T, but after looking it over, I decided its in
much to good a' shape to part out.  Now my problem.

The '58 has a 270 (crank needs ground) engine currently hanging from a
hoist.  The '59 also has a 270. No carb, rod knocking when shut off in
1980.  What I would like to do is put a more modern 350 in one of these
trucks, but need to know if I can get one that bolts right up to the
transmission.  Anybody know?  What Year/ model 350 engine would I need?
It appears that both of my oletrucks have the same transmission.  Do you
need to change clutch/ bellhousing, or is there a 350 that can use the
same clutch/bellhousing.  I looked all over the tranny(s), but cant find
any numbers.  Anybody tell me where to look for the numbers?  Anybody
tell me anything about any of this?   Anybody care?  So many questions,
I hope I didnt forget any!  TIA.

This list is great!

Gene Davis
'58 GMC 1/2 T