Re: [oletrucks] newer 350 in '58 or '59 GMC

To: Claude Ramey <rameyfam@n-link.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] newer 350 in '58 or '59 GMC
From: Gene Davis <genedavis@tritel.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 07:53:32 +0000
Claude Ramey wrote:

> Gene, I'm not sure of the exact years things changed, but I thought all
> chevy trans, bell housing, engine (v8 and in-line) bolt patterns were the
> same from about mid 50's to about '85 or so. My '59 has a '62 283 with the
> bell housing that still uses the rear motor mounts (maybe original 6
> cylinder) and a 4-speed from a 70's Monza or Vega. It all bolts right up. We
> used to and still do swap things around without even thinking if its gonna
> fit. It just does. But then I never worked on a 270 or a 2 ton truck.
> Don't forget the mail archives. search for previous post
> http://www.escribe.com/automotive/american/chevygmtruck

Thanks for the reply Claude.  From what I understand a 235 will bolt
right up to anything I have.  Same goes with a 261 or any of the old
chevy 6's.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The 270 is the biggest 6 avalable then for pickups, bigger than a 270 is
a v-8, again correct me if I'm wrong.  I really havent had a of of
experience with this 270 engine, it broke a rod bolt not long after I
got it.

I've been kicking around putting a 350 in the '58 1/2 ton and now that I
have the big truck I'm gonna put a 350 in SOMETHING!  Thanks again!