[Fwd: [oletrucks] Wow -- I'm making some headway now!]

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: [oletrucks] Wow -- I'm making some headway now!]
From: WR Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:24:52 -0400
--------------E34BCECB0EDA00492570DBA9

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:24:06 -0400
From: WR Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
To: Jeff Davis <jsd51@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Wow -- I'm making some headway now!

Hi Jeff.  I'm not sure on the reasoning or logic, but all Sam told me
was that "it rode like crap" with the springs not parallel, so it
sounded like he was speaking from experience.  I just removed my old
rear crossmember yesterday and brought home a piece of rectangular
tubing from work (it helps to be working in a welding shop).  I
temporarily clamped it in place and will mount the rear shackles to it.
It looks like I will have to move each shackle in about 3 to 3-1/2" for
the springs to be parallel.  I bought a rear leaf kit from Chassis
Engineering and the springs have 5 leaves so it looks like a more
flexible leaf set-up than the original.  I guess the only drawback about
changing to this parallel set-up is the extra fabrication involved, but
I've expected plenty of that stuff anyway, i.e. engine mounts,
transmission crossmember, etc.  My plan is to temporarily clamp or tack
everything in place, take about a zillion measurements to make sure I
got it all square, then weld it all in and paint it.  At that point I'll
finally have a rolling chassis and will really feel I'm making
progress.  Keep me updated on how things are going.  Several of us here
are around the same stage of construction, and it's good to swap advice
and experience.  Oh yeah, I was also considering boxing the sections of
the frame around where the shackles are mounted for a bit more
rigidity.  Have you considered doing this?

Wally / Templeton, MA