RE: [oletrucks] Temp Gage Physics and E-Bay

To: "'Rob & Margie J.'" <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Temp Gage Physics and E-Bay
From: "Border,Ryan" <rborder@fcxena.fc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:40:43 -0600
Rob writes:

> When you get right down to it, this is "spam" to those who don't
> want it.  Think of all the other spam you get.  There will always
> be someone who gets that same spam who is grateful for it, but most
> of those who get it unsolicited, resent it.  How is this any
> different?

> it is no different than if it were Chevy Duty or any of the other
> vendors spamming the list.

> believe it or not, I am one of those who surfs eBay ALOT

If you're somebody that surfs eBay alot, especially if you surf for truck
items, then these type of message are really of no use to you.  The people
they're likely to be usefull for are those who wouldn't otherwise find
the items- those who don't surf ebay.

I do think there is a difference between these messages and spam from
a vendor.  In general, these messages are mostly from list members who
happen across an item which they think might be of interest to our
group- and pass the find along.  They're not "for-profit" spam by a
vendor trying to drum up business.   Maybe you're a better eBay user
than I am, but even when I do my best to do a directed search, it takes
quite a while to go through all the items looking for the "good" ones.
I appreciate it when somebody has taken the time to do this, has found
something neat, and has passed a direct link on to me (us).

I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who seem to have a problem with
this.  Just learn how to use a mail filter...  any decent email client
should be able to direct messages "to: oletrucks@autox.team.net" to a
special folder/file/directory, and send any email message with "ebay"
in the title directly to the trash if that's what they want.

Ryan.