Re: [oletrucks] Temp Gage Physics and E-Bay

To: "_Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Temp Gage Physics and E-Bay
From: "Rob & Margie J." <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:36:43 -0700
Grant, et al.

I really think we are missing a few vital points here, and ones that should
apply to more than just this list.  We clearly have a group of people (think
of them as your neighbors) who do NOT want the eBay ads posted, and for some
pretty valid reasons.  Regardless of the reason though, we still have some
who don't want this, and they really can not do anything about it short of
leaving the list, and some have done just that due to email overload.  When
you get right down to it, this is "spam" to those who don't want it.  Think
of all the other spam you get.  There will always be someone who gets that
same spam who is grateful for it, but most of those who get it unsolicited,
resent it.  How is this any different?  About the only "rule" we have is
that we have always kept commercial postings off-limits, and since these
"for sale" items are NOT being sold by members, it is no different than if
it were Chevy Duty or any of the other vendors spamming the list.

However, the other group who DO want the ads, can do everything about it,
ie. go get them themselves from eBay.  Their only excuse not to is because
they are either too lazy, can't be bothered, or want someone else to do
their work for them.  If there are any other more justifiable excuses, I
apologize for not listing them, but I could not think of them.  I am sure no
one is "intentionally" being thoughtless, but none of these reasons are
worth imposing on those who can NOT do anything except delete them or wade
through them.  So, it would seem to me, that it boils down to a matter of
doing nice by some, even if it means giving up some of your own "space" or
"rights".  That is what a selfless and nice approach would be.  It is what
our culture used to teach, but we have become a "me" "me" culture, that we
have forgotten how to think of others.

I have given this a good deal of thought, and hope that I have not
overlooked other possibilities.  I suppose this will not go over well with
many, but believe it or not, I am one of those who surfs eBay ALOT, and have
been known to send items to the group as well.  I never thought about it
from others' perspectives until all the recent posts, so did some thinking
on the matter and decided this is the right thing (at least from my
perspective) and hope that this is appropriately received in the spirit in
which it is intended.

Rob

P.S. If you feel the need to flame and it is solely directed at me, then
keep it that way please and email me directly.  If you feel the need for a
rebuttal (differing opinion), then decide if the group needs to hear it, if
so, then by all means, post it to the group.  If you agree, then don't post
just to say that.  All that does it further add to the non-truck posts.  I
know, I know, how is this any different?  I am hoping that, if I am right
(pretty egocentric, I know), this may end all the discussion and we can get
on with oletruck stuff.