RE: [oletrucks] 235 Timing Gear and Cam

To: Hudson29@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 235 Timing Gear and Cam
From: MIKE RAHL <MRAHL@martinmartin.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:07:06 -0600
Paul,

1.  Sure, you can replace the timing gear w/o replacing the crank gear,
unless it is worn also, which is not likely since the fiber cam gear is much
softer.  I have done it.

2.  Aluminum gear will be a bit noisier, but last much longer.  I have done
it.

3.  The stock cam will give you the best low end torque.  With a little
hotter cam you will probably sacrifice a little bit of low end torque for a
decent increase in power above about 2500 rpm or so.  The 235 in my 56 3200
(stock intake/exhaust/carb)has a cam similiar to the Blue Flame cam which
came in the early Corvettes and I can't say as I noticed much difference in
the low end, but it does do better at higher rpm's.   With the 55 235 I am
building I am going with a Clifford 256 cam as I will be using a Clifford
water-jacketed intake, Carter 4 barrel from a 54 Buick, and Fenton Headers.

Mike