RE: [oletrucks] 235 Timing Gear and Cam

To: jack halton <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 235 Timing Gear and Cam
From: MIKE RAHL <MRAHL@martinmartin.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 07:09:17 -0600

> GMC's came from the factory with aluminum timing gears and they are
> interchangeable with the fiber Chevy gears, but as a set
> only, or the timing
> marks will not line up correctly.

During disassembly of the 235 I am building now I noticed that the aluminum
cam gear (which I installed 20 years ago when I rebuilt this motor) did not
line up with the factory mark on the crank gear, but did line up with two
punch marks on the gear.  I didn't think much of it at the time.  I now
remember establishing those marks on the crank gear to correct that timing
mark alignment problem.