Re: [oletrucks] Dat Ole Slippery Slope's Got Me

To: Hudson29@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Dat Ole Slippery Slope's Got Me
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:43:17 EDT
In a message dated 7/28/99 1:34:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Hudson29@aol.com
writes:

<<     There is a song in this debacle somewhere, and it could well be sung
 the tune of "Ole Rockin' Chair." I can hear it in my mind's ear now with
 Louis Armstrong and Jack Teagarden trading lines. I suppose I should really
 wait until I get some time to plastigage the rod and front main bearings
 before I say too much, but what fun would that be to have actual facts
rather
 than just half-baked fears to speculate on? The facts and fears as they
stand
 right now:

     1. This was a sweet running motor in a trusted oletruck list member's AD
 as recently as Dec. 98. It achieved 22 mpg in a '50 3100.

     2. Cleaning and inspection following disassembly showed many minor
 problems needing correction.

     3. The interior of the crankcase, while wonderfully free of sludge for a
 non-filtered engine, proved to have some contamination from particulate
 matter, possible old gaskets and sealer. The oil galleries must be assumed
 be at least partially plugged.

     4. Some of the mains look battered and worn although still within spec.

     5. The main caps may or may not have been rendered unserviceable by
 filing.

     6. The portion of the No. 1 bore that can be seen shows a coating of
rust
 below the ring wear area.

     7. The condition of the pistons and rings is unknown, but given the
 conditions of the mains, one must fear the worst. Compression is also
unknown.

     8. The cam is worn, at least on the fuel pump lobe.

     9. The oil pump screen shroud has fatigue cracks and will probably come
 adrift at some point.

     10. The cylinder head is supposed to have been recently done with the
 hardened valve seats. I have not removed it for inspection.

     Ruminations:

     A. This motor, if it is to see long service needs a complete overhaul.

     B. The motor could probably be pressed into short term service as it is.

     C. The cost to overhaul this 235 appear to be identical to the larger
 261. I intend to drive on freeways hauling motorcycles with the
 air-conditioning on. The 261 is more desirable for that intended use.

     D. The best solution might be to button up the 235 and use it as it is
 while beginning a search for a rebuildable 261, the motor I would really
 rather have anyway.

     I think that about sums up the situation as it sits right now. Have I
 missed something? Any comments or suggestions? Anybody got a good
rebuildable
 261 for sale in SoCal?

 Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com >>

  You know, this is just my opinion, but I'd say run it as is, if it indeed
did run well before.

  When you're ready to make a swap, stick in a SBC 350 and run that '50
w/ease.  I love the way my 235 runs in my '59, but when and if it gives up
the ghost (knock on wood) I'll never think of rebuilding it, I'd rather put
the time and effort into a V8.

  Now if this was 20 years ago, before conversion kits for your style of
truck were readily available, I'd stick with the six, but for a few hunder in
brackets, a 350/Th350 combo and better equipped rearend would slip right in.

  Nostalgia is cool, but HP and torque rule.

  Mike