Re: [oletrucks] Ol' Smokey got a gas gauge

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Ol' Smokey got a gas gauge
From: "ROGER GLEASON" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:33:51 -500
> Bad grounds are the major cause of non-functioning gas gauges.  I had a bad
> ground at the back of my gauge and chased it for a long time before finding
> and fixing.
> Mike Klepp
> '48 3100

A few weeks ago my brother brought his 73 1/2 ton that we haul the
stock car with to me because he had no brake or tail lights. But
some lights would work when he turned on the signal  lights... I
suspected a filament may have broken and fell across shorting the
lights internally inside the bulb( this has happened before). We
swapped out all the double filament bulbs and still had the
problem... The one bulb that would work was the license plate light
in the bumper... This really messed me up and we began tracing wiring
all the way back to the front... Upon returning to the back wiring
connector we checked power to the tail lights from the terminals
inside the connector to ground at the bumper and they all worked...
Hmmmmmm! ran a ground from the bed to the bumper and guess what
happened all lights worked!!!! The kicker to this story was that when
the stock car trailer was hooked up all the lights and
electric brakes worked! Seems the trailer linked the grounds
together.The trailer had separate grounds for both lights and brakes.
I guess somehow all the bolts that hold the bed on to the frame
somehow lost solid continuity! Just goes to show ya don't trust any
ground unless you scrape & grind   each and every one and even then
check for continuity.

Rogerg
51-3100 AD Stocker