[oletrucks] trailering fiasco-need input

To: napco4x4@onelist.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] trailering fiasco-need input
From: varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 12:13:52 -0500
Hi:  I thought ya'll would enjoy this story of me trying to figure out
how to trailer my 58 napco suburban from CO to Houston while still
staying within the confines of rental company protocols and doing it
cost effectively.  For sure, I need my own hauling setup.

Basically, the 58 nap sub weighs 4500#. With it comes the original
motor - 235 - plus a bunch of spare 58 sub parts.  It has a period 283
installed.  So, I am dealing with the added weight/space of the motor
and parts.  A uhaul auto transport is rated for roughly 4000#.  Your
average 1/2T late model suburban is rated with a class 3 hitch for
5000#.   I felt that I would be pushing it to try and trailer the 58 sub,
235 and parts on a uhaul trailer using a class 3 hitch.  I am not a
seasoned tower, so, I want to play it safe.

So, I need to find a trailer that is rated for 5000# and a truck that is
rated for 5500# (the heavier trailer is added to the tongue weight).
Our 97 suburban probably could handle the suburban but not with the
extra stuff including tools.

A friend is coming to Houston form Bend Oregon and is driving back
to Bend with a rental truck full of furniture.  However, the rental
company quoted her $860 for a one way to Bend, OR so she was
unsure if this was the most cost efficient route to take.  The 15' rental
truck would be the optimum vehicle to pull the 58 sub so, I called the
rental company and got a round trip fare of $350 + 10cents/mile.  It's
roughly 2500 miles to OR from Houston so doubled it would be $500
plus the $350 totalling $850, or $425 ea.

But, I still don't have the trailer - renting a heavy enough trailer is too
expensive. I decided I would look into a tow dolly.  Well, Budget
rentals will not rent me a tow dolly for a round trip contract.  If I just
wanted to rent the tow dolly one way from CO to TX, then I would
have to rent a truck too. But, I already have a truck! And since it is a
round trip contract - or local as they call it because it is coming back to
Houston - then there is no way I can rent the tow dolly.  Now, Uhaul
rents tow dollys separate from their trucks but they won't let me hook
their tow dolly to a Budget truck.

So, I would have to employ a "decoy" vehicle to pick up the tow dolly
and then drive it around the corner to hitch the dolly to the Budget
truck.  But where am I going to find a decoy vehicle? Stand around in
Grand Junction panhandling people to use their truck for 15 minutes?

My 58  nap suburban runs great but the steering is extremely sloppy
making for slow highway speeds. Plus, I don't feel comfortable letting
my wife drive the 15' truck alone - neither does she.  The 58 has a hitch
but it isn't a class 3 which is what uhaul requires.

So, I just bought the receiver here in Houston that will bolt to my 58
frame. When I get up to CO, I will install the receiver now having a
bonafide class 3 hitch to pick up the car dolly, drive it around the
corner and hook it up to the Budget truck and be on our way.

I do have a 57 2 ton flatbed that would be an excellent hauling vehicle
with a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch. But, it is stock 261 4 sp w/ 2 sp
rear axle and it's not ready for long distance road tripping.  But, it sure
would be a nice hauler - what do ya'll think about using this truck. I
don't even know what gears it has.  Do ya'll?

Anyway, I have been stressing about picking up this 58 nap sub for 6
months and I think I have it nailed down now.

What do ya'll think about installing the class 3 hitch assembly to the
stock 58 1/2T frame.  It sounds too easy.  It's the same kind that uhaul
sells or that a new suburban would come with.

What do ya'll think about dollying the 58 home?  I want at least 2 tires
off the ground in case I have a flat.  Renting a truck and trailer is far
too expensive for one way.  In May, I picked up my 57 suburban from
Amarillo. Uhaul wanted $450 or so for the use of their autotransport.
INstead, I rented one locally for $30/day and had it back in 3 days for
$90.  They screw you on one way.

Do you think that the tow dolly will hook up easily to the Budget
rental truck?

So, I hope it all works well. It will be nice to have the class 3 hitch on
the 58 so I don't mind buying it.

What tools will I need to install it? Drill, metal bits, ?  Uhaul will do it
for $40 but, really, I would rather save the money as I am cutting it
pretty close financially to pay for the trip, the equipment, home bills
(my electric bill was $340 last month! - due now), etc.

But, life's short - live it up right?