Re: [oletrucks] heating a non-heated intake manifold?

To: Doug Hughes <avdoug@teal.csn.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] heating a non-heated intake manifold?
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:19:19 -0700
When you get the Fentons  you will find  a hole in each one tapped for 1/2"
pipe. You can either plug the holes or use them to plumb exhaust to the
bottom of the manifold with tubing. The offy manifold I have is cast to sit
on top of a stock type intake manifold. So you can take a 1/4" plate, cut
to size, drill and tap for pipe fittings, run tubes from the exhaust
manifolds and heat the intake that way. I think this is preferable to water
heat because it heats up faster which is important in Seattle's climate,
where I live. I did this to my setup and it works down to 45 deg. F on a
rainy day, which is as cold as it has gotten since I installed the setup.
Even with the stock setup I suffered from carb icing at temperatures below
40 deg. F until the engine was thoroughly warm (about 15 minutes). I don't
expect the situation to have improved with the dual carb setup. I suppose I
could take the heat insulators out from under the carbs in the winter but
what a pain.

Anybody got any better ideas to reduce carb icing?

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 01:08 PM 8/18/99 -0600, Doug Hughes wrote:

>I'm looking for a used dual carb intake that is
>water heated because I understand they work
>much better than the non-heated variaty. I have
>come across a non-heated offy that I might be
>able to get for a good price (includes carbs).
>Is there any way to get reasonable performance
>from this or should I buy it for the carbs and
>hold out for a water heated version?
>I'm not above attaching some heat mechanism to
>make it work better but I'm also not in a hurry
>so I can walk away with only minor regrets.
>btw. I plan to put fentons on as well so I won't
>be getting much direct heat from the exhaust.
>
>thanks to all,
>
>Doug

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA