Re: [oletrucks] 305 Heads in 283

To: phippsj@camalott.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 305 Heads in 283
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:16:10 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/99 7:34:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
phippsj@camalott.com writes:

<< Another question for you all-knowing types.  I just found out the heads in
 the 283 out of my 57 3/4 ton are from a 305.  The engine ran only briefly
 since I got the truck.  I got it running and drove around the block.  When I
 checked the freshly changed oil, it had water in it.  You guessed it, blown
 head gasket.  I pulled the engine and removed the heads.  When I took them
 to one of the more reputable rebuilding folks in the area, he politely
 informed me the heads were from a 305.  He also told me a 350 with 305 heads
 would have an excess amount of compression, which would make it very
 difficult to crank over and start.  However, he didn't know the effects it
 would have on a 58-64 283 engine.
   My question, if anyone could help me, is will the 305 heads work on the
 283?  I know 283 heads are very difficult to find, at least around here.
 The rest of the engine needs considerable work too.  I'm wondering if I
 should maybe try to find a good 305 or 350 to replace the 283, since it
 isn't original to my truck anyway.  Any ideas anyone?  As always, I really
 appreciate any advice ya'll can give.  Thanks again!

 Jim Phipps
 57 3/4 Ton
 Abilene, Tx >>

  I know a guy who has a set of 283 heads, but damned if I know what I did
with his number, if I find it, I'll repost.

  Nix the 305 idea, they're kind of a slug with 8 holes.  350 long blocks in
need of a rebuild should be easy enough for you to find for a rebuild.
  As far as 305 heads on the 283, the CR will be determined by a few other
things, but they are small chambered heads, 58cc if I recall, and don't work
as well as you might expect on a 350.  They have small valves, and don't flow
too well, not a good combination when you have 10:1 CR with a 350.  Some of
the "HO" heads off the early 80's F-bodies would be better, and that may be
what you have, but I'm not sure.

  Run the head casting #'s at www.mortec.com, and see what pops up.

Mike