Re: [oletrucks] Mulling It Over

To: Hudson29@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mulling It Over
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:30:34 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/99 7:23:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Hudson29@aol.com
writes:

<< Well, fellow oletruckers, having a few weeks to mull this old 235
 situation in my mind has done wonders. Last night, Jack Daniels and I had
had
 a good talk and the problem sorted itself into several distinct areas.
     To refresh this sorry story in your minds, I purchased a used '59 235
 that one of our oletruck listees had surplused in the course of his V-8
 upgrade project. The motor was running sweetly as recently as last Dec., and
 had even returned 22 mpg in a '50 AD 3100. Upon inspection, the motor had
 certain suspicious characteristics indicating it had had the mechanical
 attentions of a first class moron (not our fellow listee but somebody
further
 back in the food chain), and disassembly revealed a bent pushrod, broken
 bolts, stripped screws, butchered engine front plate, worn out set of main
 bearings, worn cam, marginal rod bearings, rod nuts of mixed parentage and a
 generally poor assembly quality.
     Well, by no particular logic, Jack Daniels and I have decided to stay
 with this 235 -- for now. It ran well, and probably will again once certain
 lower end problems are sorted out. I know certain Doubting Thomases
wiseacres
 on this list (and in my head) have warned that the upper end is uncertain
 too, but I guess lightening can't strike twice -- can it? I will repair the
 trouble I have found, put the motor back together, and drive the darn truck.
 I can look for that perfect 261 to mate to the perfect T-5 trannie (or other
 powerplant) after the beast will actually move on it's own.
     OK, that was decided somehow, so now I am going to pull the crank and
 measure it. As was suggested on this list, mebbe new mains can be fitted and
 that will be the end of it. If the crank needs machine work then it will be
 new mains and rods.
     What to do about the cam? The fuel pump lobe is deeply gouged, and if
the
 cam is replaced, I understand that the bearings must also be changed out. Is
 this something I can do "under the shade tree" out back? What tools are
 required? Can a cam place rework just the lobe and leave the bearing
surfaces
 as they are so that the old bearings can be reused? Mebbe an electric fuel
 pump might just settle the issue for the time being.
     Perhaps it would be wiser to just replace the cam and move on. If so,
 what cam would be best? There are quite a variety of grinds available, and a
 little extra poop would not go amiss. Patrick's offer one for mild street
 use, how about any others?

 Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
 1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
 The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
 http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
 Fullerton, California USA >>

  As previously mentioned, installing the cam bearings takes a special tool
(that's one of the few things I have a machineshop do for me as assembley
work) it's just too easy to nick'em.  Check with the PO of the motor, if he
had normal oil pressure, leave the old bearings in.

  My own opinion is that it may cost as much to resurface your one worn lobe,
as it would to buy a new stock/aftermarket grind cam, at least it would on a
V8, I haven't investigated rebuilding my I-6 yet.  Another thing to consider
is if there is any wear on any of the other lobes.

  Good luck, if you need another 235 let me know.  I'm getting ready to go
through a 350 I have this winter, and I'll probably sell the 235 I have in my
truck, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with it, but the engine
won't be available till probably Nov/Dec time frame.

  Mike