Re: [oletrucks] 1952 Chevy 3100 distributor

To: Allen Coblentz <wac8019@erinet.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1952 Chevy 3100 distributor
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:38:15 -0700
When working with these aftermarket distributors it's best to remember that
they were set up with the assumption that they would be used for racing
where full throttle is the norm and fuel economy isn't a major consideration.

Aside from the lag in throttle response you're likely to experience poor
fuel economy. Not' that it's anything to write home about anyway. On many
of GMC's heavier trucks the distributors did not have vacuum advance.
Presumably on the assumption the  vacuum would be close to zero nearly all
the time, something I've found to be true on my 1-ton-- at least when
loaded. Also, the advance curev may have been designed for a much hotter
than stock cam which requires more initial advance but about the same total
advance. This means that the amount of advance availabe is less. So, you
may be able to advance the initial advance quite a bit which will hepl the
throttle lag off idle.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 05:47 PM 9/9/99 -0400, Allen Coblentz wrote:

>Allen Coblentz wrote:
>
>> Just bought and installed a Mallory distributor into my 235 "6".  It
>> doesn't have a vaccuum advance ( they don't even make one with vaccuum
>> advance for the "6").   Is this a problem for everyday street driving?
>> Is there any different timing set-up going this route?  I haven't got it
>> completely tuned up yet, but already I can tell a BIG difference.  Any
>> advice is appreciated.  Thanks,  Allen
>>
>> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959
>
>Please, don't tell me I bought a $300 doorstop!  There must be some way to
>set this up to work properly.  The motor runs great......fires right up.  It
>just hesitates when I first take off.  (I admit I haven't got the carb tuned
>exactly, yet.)  The manufacturer said I wouldn't have a problem....(just a
>sales pitch?)  Mallory's got a good reputation, I can't believe this was a
>waste.  Anybody else running with this distributor? (Unilite electronic)
>Anybody got some advice?   Thanks!

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA