[oletrucks] Vibration revisted

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Vibration revisted
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:51:24 -0400
    I wanted to title  this "why I will never buy another rebuilt
pressure plate" but it was too long.
   Some time ago I posted a question trying to determine the source of a
vibration of my newly restored '50 with rebuilt 235. One suggestion I
got was to balance the resurfaced flywheel and pressure plate which I
did. The machine shop balanced the flywheel by itself and then the
pressure plate bolted to it. The machine shop said the flywheel was a
little off but the pressure plate was whopping 24 grams off. It was a
rebuilt unit and he had to drill holes and weld a half dozen washers on
to balance. I put it back in and although the vibration at 3K was less I
seemed to have a new one at about 2K. All the welding added a little
chatter to the clutch also. This vibes drove me crazy and I had the
clutch out recently to replace an oily lining (use the clutch covers). I
didn't see any vendors or LAPS that sell new pressure plates so I called
BW and they refereed me to centerforce. Their tech person sold me an V-8
plate and through out bearing for my 11 inch clutch and they bolt right
on. Today I went for a test drive and Ureka, the vibration that has
plagued me for 6K is completely gone.
   Centerforce I know is probably overkill for a 235 but any stock V-8,
292 or 250 plate will fit as long as you get the right bearing for it. I
liked the fact that centerforce told me all their plates and discs are
balanced. They advertise 30% more holding with stock pedal feel but I
find the pedal a little stiffer than what I call stock.

Grant 50 3100