Re: [oletrucks] Gas tank liner

To: "David Heath Trahan" <heath@acadian.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gas tank liner
From: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:26:07 -0700
Robert-

As I remember, there were 2 sizes of gas tank cleaning/lining kits available
through Whitney.  The larger one, which I ordered, was a little over $30.00.
I would definitely get the biggest size available, and follow the directions
very closely.  And while you're waiting on the delivery, you can really work
on getting the tank clean.  I used everything from rocks, to washers with a
rope running through them, and finally got a long piece of chain to drop in
and rattle around.  When you pull the sending unit, you'll have a pretty
good size hole to look through to see how the cleaning is coming.

The biggest problem I had was plugging everything up after I got the tank
clean, so I could treat the inside.  I used a rubber bathtub stopper that
fit inside the spout, and a lot of tape.  It's a real pain, but if you get
it really clean to start with, the coating will work great.

Another option that I've heard about, but didn't try, is to take it to a
radiator shop and have it boiled out.

Let me know how it goes-

Smokey
'50 3600 5-window