[oletrucks] RE: Frame/Suspension Question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: Frame/Suspension Question
From: Bob_Keeland@usgs.gov (Bob Keeland)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:55:40 -0600
        Fellow oletruckers,

        Thanks to all who responded to my question about keeping a 3/4 ton
        frame/suspension versus switching to a 1/2 ton frame and/or installing
        Mustang II IFS.

        I think that for the present (and probably the future) I will stay with
        the 3/4 ton frame and the original equipment under the front.  As for
        the rearend, can anyone recommend a good replacement as I currently do
        not have anything except for a 1985 Silverado rearend?  The Silverado
        rearend appears to be just a bit too wide.  If possible I would like to
        avoid the enclosed driveshaft (since I don't have the original motor
and
        transmission).  I plan to install some type of standard tranny but have
        not decided which to use yet.  Like someone else on the list I would
        like for my truck to go (at least) 70 and so gear ratios for both the
        tranny (overdrive?) and rearend become somewhat of an issue (about
which
        I know next to nothing).  Are the 3/4 ton rearends from late 50's
        pickups the same width as early 50's?  Is there a web site where I can
        look this stuff up?

        You guys obviously know a lot more about this sort of thing than I do
so
        any information or suggestions is welcome and most helpful.

        BobK
        51 3/4 ton 5-window (daily driver in a year or two)