Re: [oletrucks] 216 or 235...sti?

To: "chico woodhill" <chico.woodhill@zensearch.net>, <trks@javanet.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 216 or 235...sti?
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:25:44 -0400
The Hi-Torque 235 engines are seldom-seen these days. They were a fairly
short-lived variation on the "stovebolt", being produced from only 1941 to
1949 and were available only in larger Chevy trucks - I think 1 ton and
larger. It would not have been original in your 1/2 ton.

They have the same head bolt pattern as the 216, in fact they are a bored
and stroked version of the 216, with slightly thicker cylinder walls and a
higher block casting. The Hi-Torque evolved into the "Powerglide" 235 in
1950. The Hi-torque had babbit rod bearings, not sure about the main
bearings, which were also babbit on pre-48 216's.

The Hi-Torque block was, and is still, sought after as a basis for the Chevy
"Wayne" 12 port cylinder head converson because of the increased
displacement and thicker cylinder walls, and the 216 head bolt pattern (The
"Wayne" head was originally designed for the 216 as a powerplant for 225 cu
in hydroplane racing). The Hi-torque block could be bored up to 1/4", using
wet sleeves, for a total displacement of 270 cu in.

These conversions almost always included modified crankshafts, GMC oil
pumps, and reinforced main bearing caps for full pressure insert bearing
cranks. This was a fairly expensive procedure 50 years ago - my 1955 Wayne
catalog lists the converted crank, with bearings, rods, pistons and rings
for $185, $35 extra for balancing. This was a lot of money in those days.
Few machinists today can undertake this job.

There are also places that will rebuild a Hi-Torque engine to original
babbitt-bearing configuration, as has been mentioned, which should be
adequate for normal use. But this operation can also be very expensive these
days, as it's a specialized procedure usually reserved for purist
restorations.

So the good news is, you have a pretty uncommon 235. The bad news is, it's
gonna cost about two small-block V8 crate motors to rebuild it.

Jack / Winter Park FL