RE: [oletrucks] Alternator vs. generator

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Alternator vs. generator
From: "Michael Snow" <mwsnow@home.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:19:24 -0800
>From one (of many, no doubt) who has done it, the alternator will
provide more battery charging capability at a lower cost than a
generator.  The only drawback I have been able to identify is
that an alternator requires battery power to energize the field,
and will not charge a truly "dead" battery.  I did my conversion
using a bracket from Patrick's.  Using this method, the first
alternator will cost as much as a generator.  If you are a
proficient welder, you could easily duplicate Patrick's bracket.
You could also try generic "F type" brackets from Jeg's, etc.
Every repair/replacement after the initial one will cost less
than sticking with the generator.  This is money well spent in my
book.  It is very simple to convert back to the generator if you
are concerned about originality.  My truck is a driver, therefore
I use the most reliable and inexpensive battery charging system,
the alternator, for daily use.  I still have one of each of 6v
and 12v generators in the parts cache for my '53.

More than $0.02 worth,
Mike Snow
1953 3100

<snip>