Re: [oletrucks] Alternator vs. generator

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Alternator vs. generator
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 10:27:14 EST
In a message dated 11/20/99 12:46:54 AM, gls@4link.net writes:

<< >>Is there any advantage to an alternator over a generator, and how does
one
go about making the change? >>

In the early '80's, we redid a 61 Corvair Lakewood station wagon, which we
then drove 130,000 miles in about 6 years, much of that interstate driving so
the rev's were pretty high. . .don't remember if it had a 3.55 or 3.89
transaxle.

It started out with a generator, but we were having a problem with excessive
brush wear even with having a shop doing a rebuild that specialized in
off-normal automotive and industrial applications. . .and yes, they knew old
style generators well and were very careful with the commutator rework.  I
finally gave up and went to an alternator and never had trouble again.

I intend to start the Sub out on the original generator but expect that I may
have to swap to an alternator here too as the use will be similar.

For low mileage rates and moderate speeds, a generator is fine; for very high
mileage rates and high interstate speeds, they seem to wear out too quickly.
. .at least for me they did.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Sub
Knoxville, TN