[oletrucks] Patrick's 3.55 Ring and Pinion Set-up

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Patrick's 3.55 Ring and Pinion Set-up
From: "Al Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:25:43 -0800
Someone awhile back wanted a report on the particulars of Patrick's 3.55
ring and pinion for the stock torque tube set-up.  Well, after waiting
months for Patrick to have some machined, my set is finally in the truck and
performs very well.  Let me say up front that this conversion from a 4.11 to
3.55 gear ratio only applies to the torque tube set-up.  Those of you who
change trans and rear ends have a bucket fill of ratios to choose from.

I initially tried to dismantle the rear-end myself, but years of rust has
pretty much glued things together.  Furthermore, since there are big bucks
associated with this conversion, I punted and took everything to a friend
that just happens to overhaul rear-ends for a living.  I watched during
portions of the overhaul and sure am glad I took it in (he ended up having
to make some special tools to complete the job and ruined other tools trying
to get the rusted parts apart).  It took three rear-ends to find acceptable
side gears AND one useable driveshaft.  We ended up using an Oki bushing and
new NOS bushings (definitely overkill, but the whole project is anyway) for
the drive shaft, new ring and pinion (3.55 ratio), new pinion bearings, and
new side bearings, axle bearings, seals, shims, and gaskets.  It also took a
replacement axle because one side was pretty torn up.  It also took 4 yokes
before one was found that was not twisted and would easily slide on the
front of the drive shaft.

Performance wise, it sure is relief to get the engine rpms down to something
reasonable.  I'm sure the fresh 261 appreciates it.  Both are coupled with a
stock 4 speed (also freshly overhauled).  The rear end is quiet and does not
vibrate at all (it better not), however the trans has that nice whinning
sound that trans of yesteryear make!

The conversion/overhaul of the rear-end ended up costing about $1000
including the $250 in labor from Kelly's (he gave me a very good deal -
probably a 50% discount).  Patrick also gave me a healthy discount because
I'm a member of Inliner's International  The materials that came from
Patrick's were the highest quality as were the detailed instuctions (that
were invaluable).  Some may think the cost is not worth it, but I'm pretty
much a stocker all the way (but obviously not anal about it), so it pleases
me very much.

If there are any specific question, fire them my direction and I'll try to
answer them.  If time allows, there will be a series of pictures posted on
my web site in the next month or so.

Take care, Allen in Seattle.