Re: [oletrucks] Mickey Mouse Rockers question, yadda-yadda

To: haist@jps.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mickey Mouse Rockers question, yadda-yadda
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:34:24 EST
Sorry, but I forgot the original title to the question asked:)

This message was sent to me, instead of the group.

I forget who told me this, but the oil line to the head trick is to provide
supplemental oil to the rocker assembly when other engine parts have worn
enough
to drop oil pressure.  I sure am glad I checked my rocker assembly, because
someone had put the shafts in with the oil holes pointing down.  This
effectively
shut off the oiling mechanism to the adjuster screws and valve stem end of the
rockers (but not the rockers themselves).  The adjuster screws were so dry,
they
actually were squeaking against the pushrods.  Fortunately the adjusters are
available, as one was worn to a nub (always wondered why that top end clicked
sooo much).  Once I corrected the rocker shaft, I started the engine and oil
just
gushed (not squirted, however) out of the oil holes on top of the rockers.
This
keeps things very lubed and quiet.  It is nice to know that things are correct
now.  I also realize that the stripped timing gears on my previous engine were
most likely caused by the same thing (you should have heard the noises it made
when the gears stripped).  With the holes pointing down, the rockers wear
everywhere but where the hole is.  This creates a bump on the rocker that will
bind against the hole if you adjust the lash out of them (thus causing them to
travel slightly further).  The timing gears left me shortly after adjusting
the
rockers. If I am not mistaken, the valves will interfere with the pistons in a
235.  What a mess!  Most of the pushrods bent, but the valve stems did not.
Word
to the wise: take good care of the top end, it's easy to do!

Dave Thomas
'54 3100