Re: [oletrucks] speedometer repair

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] speedometer repair
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 06:18:21 EST
If speedo trouble occurs with the onset of cold weather the usual cure is
lubing the cable with light graphite oil.  Do this from inside the cab.
While cable is off speedo head put a drop of motor oil on the head where the
cable goes in.  If there are any kinks in the cable replace it.  Tighten
knurled nuts finger tight only, no pliers.  I like cables with rubber outside
so it can't short on electric terminals, but original was metal sheath.

If that doesn't help, remove cable at trans. then remove big shallow nut
under it.  This is speedo driven gear.  Look for teeth worn down.  AD 3
speeds should have metal teeth, later gears were nylon and the helix was
reversed.  If the gear is not matched with drive gear it will self destruct.

Last possibility is worn or dried out lube in speedo head.  buy a spare
needle before removing the old one as they usually break.  Be careful putting
 odometer drum together so numbers turn at the right time.  Cleaning and lube
sometimes is all you need.

I just got my Jan Car Collector.  Page 68 has article on 54 Chev truck.  I
found 2 mistakes so far.
Bob ADler