Re: [oletrucks] speedometer repair

To: tcape@weblnk.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] speedometer repair
From: VIKINGHILL@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:46:19 EST
Hey Tom,
I shared this with the list awhile back, but this is how I used to check
speedo's at the Pick and Pay, Take a cordless drill and a broken chainsaw
file, use the bottom square part, then remove the cable housing and insert
the file end.  then start the drill. Try  both directions you should be able
to get the speedo needle up to around 10 mph.  If the needle is bouncing at
that slow speed, you may get away with taking the speedo apart and cleaning
the "innards" really well.  I coated mine with a nice coating of 3 in 1 oil
and it worked fine untill I removed it. If the needle doesn't work (and
you've tried both directions of the drill) then it is an internal problem.
If  it turns smoothly then it is either a speedo gear on the trans, or a
cable problem.  Good Luck!
Casey Mathews
'47-2 "Thriftmaster" 8EPK #####
P.S. Did you ever decide on a classic insurance provider?
I've been looking at the Hagerty's deal.