Re: [oletrucks] Radiator work on a 51

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Radiator work on a 51
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:26:45 -0600 (CST)
>I own a 51 with a 283 small block.
>
>I noticed coolant leaking from the radiator
>I removed the radiator and took it to a radiator mechanic to see if the leak
>if any can be fixed. he calls me back after checking the radiator and
>recommends that I replace the core. It will cost me $255. Does this seem
>about right for a job like this.  Is there another way to ensure if the
>whole core needs to go.
>
>Rgds
>sj

I just had the core replaced on my '57 last summer.  It ran around $300, so
you're not too far off.  These cores are nearly impossible to repair on the
'57's because of the style of the core.  This core is made up of pressed
copper panels that are soldered together to form the tubes and fins.  As
soon as you put a little heat on them to solder a joint, the whole thing
comes apart.

Bruce Kettunen
bekett@uslink.net
'57 3100