[oletrucks] No more gear grinding!

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] No more gear grinding!
From: Brad Newman <bkn6@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:02:43 -0600
It works, it works!

After 4 days of re-doing the linkage (at least 6 times), messing with
the clutch and screwing with the tranny, I can now shift through all 4
gears on my stock 3 speed without a care!

For all of you that offered advice on the problem, thank you. I received
about 50 responses to my series of questions, which to me is amazing.

If anybody is curious as to what the problem was, it turned out to be
the wrong clutch fork. This fork has almost a 45 degree angle on it
coming out of the bell housing, where the correct one is almost
straight. No matter how I adjusted the linkage, I couldn't get enough
pressure on the throw out bearing to depress the clutch. Talk about
frustrating! The only thing that I can figure is that while at the
engine rebuilders, they somehow or another got my fork and one off of a
late 60's truck swapped.
Anyway, thank you all again for your help with this. Ya'll are truly one
great group of folks.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays guys (and gals!)
Brad
(who today for the first time in almost 2 years was able to drive his 49
around the block, under its own power!)