[oletrucks] 1 1/2 ton AD

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 1 1/2 ton AD
From: Brad Newman <bkn6@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:33:27 -0600
Yesterday in my travels I ran across a 51 1 1/2 ton AD, complete with
working dump bed. The guy that has it is about 85 years old, and said
that he bought it new in 51 for his construction company. It is in
unbelievably good shape; the only thing wrong that I can see is the cab
corners are starting to go. It is 100% original, it even has the
original jack and tool set.
Anyway, the guy offered to give it to me after he moves (about 6
months). I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but the
price is right.
Question:
Does anyone know how fast these trucks will go? What I mean is are they
safe to put on the highway? It has a 2 speed rear end, if that makes a
difference. The reason that I ask is that if I were to get it I would
like to put it to use hauling rock from a quarry (about 25 miles away)
to my new farm for a road that I am building. I would have to travel on
a busy 2 lane highway that is posted at 70 for the majority of the trip
to and from. I know that 70 is out of the question, but what can I
expect?
Thanks for any help.
Brad