Re: [old-chevy-truck] Re: [oletrucks] Help carb problems again....

To: <old-chevy-truck@onelist.com>, <Advdesign1@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [old-chevy-truck] Re: [oletrucks] Help carb problems again....
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:22:44 -0800
>The last carb that I had on it was a Carter and I liked the looks of it
>better, but this time I ended up with a >Rochester, and it lasted
>about 3 miles before dumping gas around the bowl seal. (they rebuilt
>it using 2 of these seals).  These seals started leaking (seaping) at
>an idle, not dripping just coating the front of the carb with a small
>amount of gasoline.any and all suggestions would be appreciated,
>and happy holidays.

Hi Casey,

These carbs are notorious for leaking.  In Tom Brownell's book, p.77,
there's a text box describing a drip pan one guy made so he could just live
with the problem.  If anything, it is a design flaw with the carbs, not a
problem with assembly / manufacture, although I'm sure there are bad apples.

I found that when I made changes to my engine or even when the weather
changed, I would have to readjust the idle speed to keep the carb from
either starving or flooding.  Mine actually came with a little in-line
diaphragm device which I've seen advertized by some of the suppliers, that
was supposed to help, but it didn't, at least for me.

After I rebuilt the carb I had a long, messy adjusting period to balance the
idle speed between drought and flood.  I found it very helpful to get a
glass bodied fuel filter at a marine chandlery (you can sometimes find them
at auto parts stores too).  With it I could see whether fuel was backing up
or not before the carb flooded or died.

Eventually I dialed in the idle speed and all was right with the world.  I
won't say it never leaks.  As Garrison Keilor says on the Prarie Home
Companion radio show, "it has the dark brown stains that indicate
freshness."  But it runs fine and doesn't flood or even smell, so I just
wipe it down once in a while and go on driving.

Hope this is helpful / interesting.

Grant S. gls@4link.net