Re: [oletrucks] Help carb problems again....

To: VIKINGHILL@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Help carb problems again....
From: Rawlin Blake <blake@nevada.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:09:57 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 24 Dec 1999 VIKINGHILL@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Bob and all,
> I haven't done a pressure test on the fuel pump.  The truck ran just fine for
> 6 mos on the 20 year old rochester that was on it when I bought it.  Then it
> started leaking and I could not get it to stop with adjustments to the float
> and a rebuild kit or two.  I did however replace the points, plugs,cap, rotor
> and condenser before the last "quality" carb overflowed.  Does that have any
> bearing on it.  When I pulled the plugs out to replace, The #1 cylinder is
> smoking.  I gapped the plugs at .035" and the points at .024" and set the
> timming by ear till it ran smooth. The last carb that I had on it was a
> Carter and I liked the looks of it better, but this time I ended up with a
> Rochester, and it lasted about 3 miles before dumping gas around the bowl
> seal. (they rebuilt it using 2 of these seals).
> These seals started leaking (seaping) at an idle, not dripping just coating
> the front of the carb with a small amount of gasoline.
> any and all suggestions would be appreciated, and happy holidays.
> Casey
>  1947 3100 "Thriftmaster"
> Forest green with a big red bow, sitting in the drive way. unable to
> move......

I have a big, modern steel inline fuel filter on mine for this very
reason. It certainly doesn't look fifties, but it is well worth it!

Bet you have a dirty gas tank, rotting hoses (Check all _three_ rubber
hoses going to the gas tank--or better yet, just replace them all),
rusting fuel lines, AND a deteriorating fuel pump. When vehicles are
this old, everything is old :-)

Rawlin

--
blake@nevada.edu                        http://www.scsv.nevada.edu/~blake

How far would Moses have gone if he had taken a poll in Egypt? What would
Jesus Christ have preached if he had taken a poll in the land of Israel?
What would have happened to the Reformation if Martin Luther had taken a
poll? It isn't polls or public opinion of the moment that counts. It is
right and wrong and leadership.
        -- USA President Harry S Truman