Re: [oletrucks] Paint Colors for 58 GMC

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Paint Colors for 58 GMC
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 08:16:07 -0700
Hi...this is not exact, but as close as I can get from my experience
with oletrucks.

The following parts were dipped in satin (semi-gloss) black paint,
actually more like primer:

Front inner fenders (skirts?)
Hood diagonal brace
Hood Hinge spring
Radiator Support
Radiator Baffle (where hood latch goes in)
Hood inner braces

These parts were cad plated:

Hood latch
Hood hinges

The hood (and other front sheetmetal such as fenders and grille
surround) was dipped in black primer, then the outer surface was sprayed
with body color, and some overspray got on the underside. The factory
did not paint it like a show vehicle, it was just a production truck.

Hope this helps...at least it will start some debate   :)   especially
the part about dipping in primer.  But, that's what it looks like to
me.  If anyone has a truck that has NEVER been repainted, and has a
different idea of how it was done, please let us know!

Jim

You Wrote:
I am in the process of restoring to original my '58 GMC Suburban Carrier
Pickup (Cameo) and need some help on the colors of certain pieces in the
engine compartment.