Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi (cool discussion coming!)

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi (cool discussion coming!)
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:33:20 -0600
On my particular truck I will be going all original with two exceptions.
These two exceptions are in the name of preservation and practicality in
using this as a NON daily driver and only driving it to shows and in
parades.

1) PVC coated wiring harness
2) 12 Volt electrical system

Cloth coated wiring is a fire hazard. As an electronics tech I can tell you
its not only a fire hazard but back in those days the wiring had inferior
electrical characteristics. PVC coated wiring will last longer than me and
reliably so.

6 Volts was never enough juice and with it sitting alot, I will not be
hassled with having the 6 volt battery charger handy every time I need to
start it. That is embarrassing as much as its a pain. I may lose points for
these two mods, but I will sleep better at night knowing I did them.

Nice part about these spirited conversations is in the end, we all do
whatever we feel comfortable with. Electronic Ignition and a 50 Chevy pickup
do not mix in my book because I am an originality freak.

My next project will be a 54 AD Deluxe Cab. I want the full windshield. I
have located the cab and frame already. Its in such bad condition that it
wont be possible to return it to original.. THEN I go with V8, Electronic
Ignition, Automatic Trans, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Air and maybe even
electric windows and wipers. I have this idea about doing something really
extraordinary... a QUAD cab. To maintain the proper architectural lines.. a
54 Suburban could be used for the top (to extend the cab) then I want to
make the doors smaller in the back, extend the frame and all of the real
difficult things that bring an exceptional level of satisfaction. Imagine a
1954 Quad Cab that looks so authentic it might have come right off the
production line!