Re: [oletrucks] Followup: valve adjust

To: "Lonnie L. Dickey" <mdickey@silverback.gorilla.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Followup: valve adjust
From: ADvent@thuntek.net
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:50:17 -0700
Like I said earlier, hydraulic lifters need to be adjusted still for the initial
fire up. If you do it right that's it for the life of the motor. If you need to
adjust again, because of something not related to the first adjustment, Its a
mechanical failure happening and its time for a new cam and or lifter(s). In
real life at a shop, I would never replace just one lifter. It would get a new
cam and lifters. If I can't do it the correct way and the way to prevent a
comeback, I won't do the work. I'll turn the job down. You might have a few more
bad lifters, but they haven't cause symptoms, yet, but might later on down the
road. No pun intended.  I would at least measure the cam lobe to see if that's
where the problem is. If the lift is not up to specs, the lobe is worn and a new
lifter or adjustment will not fix your problem.  At any rate, properly adjusted
hydraulic lifters are something you can just forget about until its time to
rebuild it, again. When I was younger, I had a 65 Chevy three-quarter ton pickup
with a 283. The lifters clattered a little, so I got out my tools and did an
adjustment. It was ok for a few miles and then it started to run differently. I
pulled the rocker arm cover off and I had it so tight that one push rod was bent
and it poked a hole right through the rockers. I am laughing just thinking about
it. I was surprised. I did this with it running, because learned that some other
dumb kid. If my car's lifters were adjusted this way, I would be very mad. I
don't care how careful a person is, myself included, one cannot adjust a running
engine without getting some oil where you don't want it. Ok, I'll stop. BTW, I
don't like solid lifter cams, I'm too lazy for that.
New Mexico Jim