[oletrucks] Happy update and some questions (was stuck pistons)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Happy update and some questions (was stuck pistons)
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 23:22:57 EST
Hi everyone,

To recap: Found an old 270 that'd been sitting outside without a head for 20+
years. Appeared to be in very bad shape. Not so.

This engine just keeps getting better and better. I've been soaking the
pistons top and bottom with Kroil for the last 4 days. Tonight, went at the
pistons for the first time with a small sledge. Moved every one of 'em.
Concentrated on the 2 worst ones and got 'em both out no problem. The guy I
bought the block from claimed the engine had the original bore, but he also
told me it was a 1943 military block which it isn't. I cleaned up one of the
bores without a piston and it turned out the rust wasn't nearly as bad as it
appeared. Measured the bore and with as much accuracy as can be expected
using a brand new dial calipers, it measured .005" over stock bore!!! I don't
have a standard to zero the inside measuring prongs on my calipers so I'd say
.005" could be blamed on the tool. Also, the pistons have the original
stamped sizing marks in them.

I also managed to get a small rod onto the lifters and knock all but 2 of
them down away from the cam. Gonna set the block on end tomarrow and the cam
should come out with some sledge hammer persuasion.

Questions:

I have one bad connecting rod that's very badly rusted and definately not
reusable. Is there a chance that a rod from a 248 will work?

This 270 came with a strange oil pan. It has an indentation on the front
passenger side I'd like to think was for a differential on a large 4X4 or
maybe even a NAPCO truck? The pan's reasonably straight and I would like to
sell or trade it to someone if they could use it. I need a dipstick & tube
and a breather/oil filler/PCV assembly for this engine.

A 248 pan will work on a 270 won't it?

Thanks!

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons