Re: [oletrucks] Break cylinder question

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Break cylinder question
From: "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 1980 17:49:45 -0500
Deve,

DOT 5 is great stuff with Two major cautions!

1. DON"T use it with older rubber parts. No original or NOS rubber parts
will properly stand up to it.

2. Keep ALL water out of the system. DOT 5 will not absorb water into itself
so if there is any water in the system it will cause rust. Check master
cylinder boot, cover, seal etc, and don't bleed or add fluid in the rain!

The major drawback to the older DOT 3 fluid is that it DOES absorb water, it
then forms an acid in the system. Thats why fluid gets cloudy and pits the
wheel cylinders.

I ran a 77 Camaro for 10 years with DOT 5 and it worked great. Be sure and
blow your lines and fittings clear of the old fluid.

John
'49 Chevy 3800 Panel
'52 GMC 640 Firetruck